Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Roasted Fingerling Potato Salad

image 

This is about to be straight plagiarism, because I saw this recipe in Bon Appetit this month, decided to try it, couldn’t find my camera, and therefore have copied the entire thing, picture included, from their website. It’s a weird half-picture, so you’ll just have to believe me when I tell you that the salad is both beautiful and delicious. Chris gave it the ultimate compliment: “These are Spanish potatoes!” I did, of course, make a few changes, mostly out of lack of ingredients; now that our organic produce box arrives once a week, I can’t be troubled to go to the store for much of anything, which I guess means that we really are saving money with this new set up. So continue to rock potato salad paradigms and bring this to your next summer bbq.

2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil plus additional for brushing—CONFESSION: I used bacon fat instead of olive oil. Mmmmm.

1 1/2 pounds 1-inch-diameter fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise

2 green onions, thinly sliced (I used diced white onion, soaked in water 15 minutes)

1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves

2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves (I used fresh thyme from the garden)

1 1/2 tablespoons Banyuls vinegar or red wine vinegar (I used part white, part balsamic)

1 tablespoon coarse-grained Dijon mustard

2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, chopped

Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 400°F. Brush heavy large rimmed baking sheet with oil. Place potatoes and 2 tablespoons oil in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss. Arrange potatoes, cut side down, on prepared baking sheet. Roast until potatoes are brown on cut side, about 23 minutes. Using tongs, turn potatoes over. Roast until crisp, deep golden, and tender, about 12 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir green onions, parsley, tarragon, vinegar, mustard, and 2 teaspoons oil in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer potatoes to dish. Spoon chopped eggs and herb salad over.

No comments:

Post a Comment