Sunday, March 21, 2010

Chocolate Chocolate Cookie Dough Ice Cream; a dream a year in the making

IMG_6909

About a year ago a little cafe and ice cream shop called Snowcap opened their doors down the street from us. I normally don’t care that much about ice cream, as desserts go, but I think everyone in Erie was thrilled to see that some legitimate commerce was finally moving in. So we made the requisite pilgrimage over there with our neighbors to check it out, and what did I see on their flavors board but “Chocolate Cookie Dough Ice Cream.” “What could it mean??” I wondered aloud. “Is it chocolate ice cream with regular cookie dough? Or vanilla ice cream with chocolate cookie dough? Or could it be…*gasp*…chocolate ice cream with CHOCOLATE cookie dough????” So I went to the counter to ask about it and the employee replied, “Yeah, we’ve been getting lots of questions about that, sorry. It’s mistake on the sign, it’s just regular old chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.” I would say that my dreams had been crushed, if it weren’t for the fact that I had just gotten an ice cream maker for Christmas, and that, while I’m not so crazy about going out for ice cream or buying store bought ice cream (no matter how good it is), I become completely possessed (seriously, by DEMONS), when I conceive of a homemade ice cream flavor that I want to try. So a year later, with company coming tonight, I decided to realize the dream.

Ice Cream:

2 C cream

1 C half and half

3/4 C sugar (I’m thinking about cutting this down next time…it is REALLY sweet)

6 Tbs cocoa powder

pinch salt

Puree ingredients in blender until well combined. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.

Cookie Dough:

4 Tbs butter, softened

6 Tbs sugar

1/4 tsp vanilla

2 Tbs milk

2 Tbs cocoa

3/4 C flour

1/2 C mini chocolate chips

Mix butter and sugar with a fork until well combined. Add vanilla and milk and stir well. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined (dough will be stiff)—I found it easier to use my hands to get a homogenous dough.  Chill for 20 minutes.

During the last few minutes that the ice cream is churning, break the dough into little chunks (about 1/4-1/2 tsp each). I spread them over my ice cream tupperware like this:

STB_6891

When the ice cream was done I poured a layer over the chunks in the tupperware, then put the chunks on the lid on top of that. Then I covered it with the rest of the ice cream, and any chunks that I had left over. At the end it looked like this:

STA_6892

We ate this with friends tonight that were over for game night, and they adored it. We agreed that walnuts would be a divine addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment