Sunday, May 16, 2010

Kale Chips, ie: VICTORY

serves 2-4

  IMG_7261

In the past few months Sawyer’s intellect has matured to the point that he really “gets” negotiation, and this has been a boon to his diet. Formerly the all-star nose-turner-upper at anything that wasn’t cereal, toast or Annie’s bunnies in cheese sauce, he has now pretty much made peace with the whole “this is what mom made for dinner; eat it or go hungry” idea. While he might put up the tiniest stink, we’ve managed to get him eating more or less what we eat, with the occasional toddler modification, all on the promise of “un bonbon” if he makes a valiant effort. Well, this whole system was completely overturned tonight when he ate tiny fistful after tiny fistful of kale chips, saying, “Mama, I eat more chips!”  I wish I could explain the miracle, but I think it’s simply that baked kale is truly tasty. Thank goodness this miracle came along when it did, because as much as I want to be that person that eats kale all the time (“sautéed with just a little balsamic vinegar,” say some of my friends, which tastes to me like shredded plastic bags with vinegar), who does yoga, and doesn’t kill house plants, the truth is that I only formerly liked kale when stewed to oblivion in winter soups packed with sausage and sweet potatoes and the like. But the times, they’re a changin’ with this kale recipe.

1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves torn into pieces

1-2 Tbs olive oil

Sea salt to taste

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Toss kale leaves with oil and salt.

IMG_7258

Spread on cookie sheet and roast for about 20 minutes or until crispy.

2 comments:

  1. OK. Perfect. I have a bunch of Kale from my bountiful basket and I needed a Kale chip recipe. I've only heard it referred to, so thanks! Let's see if my picky eaters will take it by the fistful. Thanks Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried these today and even Ajay liked them! Yum. This is also a strategy for making raw kale palatable: http://iheartkale.blogspot.com/2009/01/massaged-kale-salad-with-grated-root.html

    ReplyDelete