Thursday, May 6, 2010

Roasted Potatoes and Grape Tomatoes à la Grèque

Serves 6

IMG_7200

We got a 2 lb bag of potatoes in our box of organic goodness today. Here’s what’s interesting about that: we learned recently that the average American eats 150 lbs of potatoes per year. Among the group present at the time, some claimed to eat much more than that, but I was the only one who said, “No way…I bet I eat 5 lbs of potatoes a year…” I like potatoes just fine, it just doesn’t occur to me to eat them that often. And since you’re supposed to store them in a cool, dark place, I have often forgotten about them in the past when I did buy a bag, and have only rediscovered them when their sprouted tendrils have started to take over some part of the pantry and grow body snatcher pods. So when the produce arrived today the first thing I asked Chris was, “How do you like your potatoes?” It’s not that often that he really has a say, so this was a big moment. “Slice them thinly,” he said, “and cook them with that herb…what is it…the one that is like little sticks.” With some coaxing we arrived at rosemary, and from there this recipe was born.

5 small potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (1/4-in)

1 1/2 C grape tomatoes

1/4-1/3 C olive oil

1 tsp dried rosemary

1 tsp dried sage

1 tsp Greek spice blend (I have McCormicks and like it a lot; in lieu of a blend you could mix oregano, mint and dehydrated onion)

salt (maybe 1-2 tsp)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl mix everything together:

IMG_7189

Spread the mess on a cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes.

IMG_7190

Stir the vegetables and turn them as best you can, and return them to the oven for another 12. The picture at the top of the post was taken after this second 12-minute installment, but I let them go another 8 minutes or so to get them good and browned.

Total success. Sawyer needed minor prodding, Chris needed none, and even said, “This was my idea.” He gets full credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment