Thursday, May 6, 2010

Miso Glazed Baby Turnips and Carrots

Serves 4

IMG_7201

I completely loved these. Sawyer ate them almost willingly. Chris let them slide into the ketchup on his plate and didn’t say a word. It was originally supposed to be just turnips, but once I got my bundle from the organic produce box out I realized that it was much more…diminutive…than I remembered. Hence the carrots coming to join it. And they’re such sweet, delectable carrots, I think it was the perfect combo.

1 Tbs miso (I used red, the original recipe called for white)

1 Tbs butter, softened

1 1/2 lbs small (1 1/2-to 2-inch)  turnips with greens and carrots

1/2 C water

1 Tbs mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)

Here are my adorable veggies:

IMG_7191

Discard turnip stems, coarsely chop leaves and set aside. Halve turnips (leave whole if tiny), slice carrots and put in a 12-inch heavy skillet along with water, mirin,  and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then boil, covered, 10 minutes:

IMG_7199

Here’s the miso posing next to my indispensible butter crock:

IMG_7195

While the carrots and turnips are cooking, mix together the miso and butter:

IMG_7198

Uncover the skillet and add the turnip greens by handfuls, turning and stirring with tongs and adding more as volume in skillet reduces. Cover and cook 1 minute. Uncover and continue boiling, stirring occasionally, until turnips are tender and liquid is reduced to a glaze. Stir in miso butter and cook 1 minute longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment