Thursday, January 28, 2010

Best Pregnancy Breakfast 2: Tangy Blueberry Shake

Another delicious, soothing and healthy breakfast choice came together this morning: the tangy blueberry shake. Blueberries continue the antioxidant theme, soy brings extra protein and natural therapy for the pregnant lady's hormonal excesses, buttermilk gives it that irresistible tang and maple syrup makes it feel a little nostalgic. I actually measured my ingredients this time. I'm really making en effort here.

1 frozen banana cut into chunks
1 C frozen blueberries
1/2 container silken tofu (make sure it's silken!)
1/2 pint (about 1 C) buttermilk
2 Tbl maple syrup

Before I go any further I just want to make sure that everyone is on the same page with buttermilk. I've seen fat-conscious people shrink away from it, as if it were actually butter+milk. It's just fermented low-fat milk; the 1 cup in this recipe has 2.5 grams of fat. Buttermilk also makes awesome Irish soda bread (uh-oh, I feel a craving coming on...). Ok, now that everybody's clear on buttermilk:

Put all the ingredients in the blender!

















This recipe makes a big glass for you and a little glass for your envious spouse/child. The little glass proved not to be enough satisfaction for my 2 year-old; he keeps coming over to my glass for more...so maybe go drink this in your closet where no one will bother you.

1 comment: