Saturday, February 13, 2010

Best Pregnancy Breakfast 5: Whole Grain German Pancakes

IMG_6540

German pancakes were one of my favorite weekend breakfasts when I was a kid; it’s pretty magical how they puff up like an alien planet and then deflate into a buttery, custardy plane. Now, with the substitution of whole grain flours, they’re not a total nutritional loss. Too bad I’m going to have to slather them in syrup.

6 eggs

1 C milk or soymilk

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 C whole wheat flour

1/4 C barley flour

1/4 C brown rice flour

2 Tbs butter or margarine

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the 2 Tbs butter in a 9x13 pan, and put it in the oven while it’s pre-heating. Place all other ingredients in your blender or food processor and blend until well mixed and bubbly, like this.

IMG_6538

When the oven is ready, and the butter is melted and sizzling, pull the pan out of the oven and pour the batter in.

  IMG_6539

Return pan to oven and bake for 17-20 minutes (less time at high altitudes, more time at low altitudes) until pancakes are puffy and golden (they puff a little less at high altitudes, unfortunately). Serve with your favorite sweet condiments: maple syrup, honey, powdered sugar, jam, etc. Here’s the action shot of the powdered sugar raining down. Mmm, these are so delicious, I’m eating them RIGHT NOW.

 IMG_6541

1 comment:

  1. It's funny I just started doing 1/2 cup wheat and 1/2 cup white so I wouldn't feel as guilty feeding them to my kids, and eating them myself. So fast and delicious on school days.

    ReplyDelete