Saturday, February 20, 2010

Supermoist Whole Grain Banana Breakfast Muffins

IMG_6605

I like weekend breakfasts to be a little bit special, with a little something out of the ordinary; no cereal allowed--unless it’s some awesome and nostalgic kind that we can’t normally afford to buy, like Cracklin’ Oat Bran, that suddenly went on sale for under $4 a box. When I decided on muffins this morning I of course got out my bags of whole wheat, barley, and rice flour, because I always use them in baking. They make the lightest, yummiest treats. And since I’ve been experimenting with using silken tofu in place of eggs for a friend whose son has allergies, I’ve decided that I should always replace an egg or two, as the tofu makes for a smooth texture and adds variety to the protein sources in our diet. End result: sweet, soft, springy, delicious, banana-full goodness, with the slightest hint of coconut and sunny overtones of honey.

3 medium bananas

1/3 C canola oil

1/2 C coconut milk

1/2 C honey

5 oz. silken tofu

1/2 C milk or soymilk

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla

2 Tbs brown sugar

1 C whole wheat pastry flour

1 C barley flour

1/2 C brown rice flour

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

2 Tbs wheat germ

Peel bananas and place in food processor; pulse until cut into small chunks. Transfer bananas to a large mixing bowl.

IMG_6598

Pour oil, coconut milk, honey and tofu to food processor and process until smooth. I just can’t express how much I love my food processor; I use it at least once almost everyday.

IMG_6602

Add milk, egg, vanilla and brown sugar, and process again until well mixed. Pour mixture into mixing bowl with bananas. In a separate bowl whisk the dry ingredients together, then add them to the wet ingredients, stirring gently until just combined. Do not over mix. Spoon batter into greased muffin pan. Sprinkle nuts (walnuts used here) on some or all of the muffins, if you desire.

IMG_6603

Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until the top of muffins spring back when touched lightly. Allow muffins to cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.        

No comments:

Post a Comment