Friday, February 5, 2010

Curried Chicken Salad Sandwiches in Homemade Pita

IMG_6433

Dreamy, dreamy, dreamy. That’s all I have to say. For the pita recipe see the post of the same name. Here’s how I do my curried chicken salad:

2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded or cubed (canned chicken also works great for chicken salad; 2 12-oz cans ought to do it)

2 stalks celery, diced

2 green onions, thinly sliced

1/3 C raisins

3 Tbs toasted walnut pieces

2-3 tsp curry powder

1/2 tsp ground coriander

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1 Tbl honey

mayonnaise

(Diced red pepper would also be great in this, but I was all out.)

Directions: mix everything together, adjust your seasonings, etc. If you like your curried things to be exceedingly yellow, you can add a little turmeric. As for the mayo: I don’t like to tell people how much to use; I feel like mayo is a really personal thing. My mother-in-law mixes mayo and plain yogurt and has great success with that. Your mayo quotient is really up to you. As for the sandwich, I recommend tomato slices and some good, crispy lettuce leaves!

1 comment:

  1. Anything with raisins, walnuts and curry draws my attention. Loved the chicken salad but need to tweak the mayo better next time. I plan to try my luck with the wheat pita in the upcoming month so I will make the chicken salad again.

    Sarah, I love your blog and your editorial comments about the recipes and possible variations. As you probably guessed.......This gets another thumbs up rating.

    ReplyDelete