Thursday, February 25, 2010

Gingered Cream of Chicken Soup

I did give this a try a day or two ago, but it needs a little work. If anyone is a master of creams soups, I’m ready for a tutorial. Pregnant or not, I’ve never liked really thick creamy soups, and usually use half and half and lots of broth to create something really light. When I had finished this soup, however, I realized that what I was craving was in fact a full-on cream soup, which, in retrospect, would have needed a roux and some milk…and a whole different approach.

What I made was tasty, though not particularly creamy, but I did love the combination of ginger and cream. Here’s what I did: Put a whole chicken in a pot of water (2 inches above the chicken) with an onion, some celery and 5 oz. of sliced ginger. I simmered this for about three hours, removed the chicken, strained the broth, and put them both in the fridge to cool. A few hours later I was able to remove the meat from the chicken and skim the fat off the top of the broth. From there I added carrots to the broth and let them simmer for 12 minutes, then added chopped chicken and one pint of heavy cream, salt and pepper to taste.

Next time I do this I’m going to take a different approach. I’ll use milk instead of broth and will simmer it with the cream and the ginger. In the meantime I’ll sauté some onion and celery, then puree them with the milk-cream (ginger removed). Then I’ll make a roux, add a little broth, then the milk-cream and some cooked chicken.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment