Sunday, April 11, 2010

Flourless Dark Chocolate Cake, Part II, aka, chocolate mousse revision

I don't know if it's actually possible, but I think I may have inadvertently improved upon the recipe below for flourless dark chocolate cake. I was thinking of some gluten-free friends of mine that I thought needed a little love, and also I was thinking about all that leftover dark chocolate, and I decided I would make another batch of the cake and cook it in mini-souffle dishes this time. Well, as fate would have it I inadvertently, as I said, doubled the sugar. Blast! One of the things I liked best about the original version was that it wasn't too sweet. So, looking for a way to mediate the sweetness, it occurred to me that I could use up some leftover ricotta cheese that, otherwise, was just taking up space in the fridge. So after the eggs were done beating, I added in about 3/4 skim milk ricotta. Otherwise the recipe is exactly the same (so to recap, 1 C sugar instead of 1/2, and 3/4 C ricotta). I poured this into 6 greased and cocoa-powdered souffle cups, and cooked them for 25 minutes or so. What can I say? The result is so extraordinary. It's like the most amazing dark chocolate cake has been transformed into a dark chocolate MOUSSE cake. Cooking is always an exercise in tempting fate. You never know when you're going to accidentally put in powdered sugar instead of flour (this happened to my brother) or double the milk by mistake...my advice is to embrace it; you never know what unearthly delight you will create, despite yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment