Sunday, April 18, 2010

Homemade Granola

Makes 8-12 servings

 IMG_7061

Oh, man, what a great day. The boys have gone to the park, leaving me in a quiet house, there’s a cup of herbal tea cooling next to me, the kamut is on the stove (first try, I’ll keep you all posted), our little family is growing (#2 kicking in-utero as I type), and the sky is that sentimental shade of grey that inspires the imagination and effaces regret. It’s a day when creation feels right: just spent a load of money on things to grow and improve our vegetable garden, but since I won’t be tasting any of those fruits for a few months still I need the immediate satisfaction of a kitchen concoction instead. Spurred on by a big package of raw pumpkin   seeds that I acquired recently, I set out to try some homemade granola. This took me about 3 minutes to put together, and the only attention it needed was being stirred every 10 minutes or so during the cooking time.

One day later: what a perfect Sunday breakfast this made today with a little fruit and yogurt. I love that it’s not too sweet.

2 1/2 C rolled oats

1 C sliced almonds

1/2 C pumpkin seeds

1/2 C wheat germ

1/2 C flaxseed meal

1/2 C shredded coconut

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 C olive oil

1/4 C maple syrup

1/2 C pineapple juice

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon every ten.

IMG_7053

Let it cool completely on the cookie sheet (it will crisp up during this time) before transferring it to a tupperware for storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment