Saturday, April 24, 2010

Most Savory Roast Chicken

IMG_7081

This was originally going to be a slow cooker roast chicken, but this morning got so hectic, there was just no way that I was going to get a chicken spiced up and ready to go before 8am. So the time-saving slow cooker got pushed aside for a proper oven tonight, with no loss whatsoever, I think. The spice mix is a variation on one I found on the Tasty Kitchen website, and it really is as close to commercial rotisserie chicken as I’ve ever tasted. One more thing: being the lazy cook that I am, I can’t be troubled to truss my bird. Therefore: I cook it breast side down on a roasting pan to avoid the breasts getting overdone, which is more or less what trussing achieves. Remember to let your bird rest for 15 minutes before carving in order to seal in the juices!

1 Tbs salt

2 tsp paprika (I used 1 tsp regular and 1 tsp smoked paprika)

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp cayenne

1 tsp black pepper

butter

Preheat oven to 450. Remove giblets from chicken, rinse bird and pat dry. Rub the carcass with butter, salt the inside. Rub the spice mixture onto the outside of the bird. Place breast side down on a roasting pan. Roast for 15 minutes, reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 18-20 minutes per pound of bird. Use the pan juices to make gravy, if you wish, or I often use them to flavor soups/sauces. I also usually toss the carcass in the freezer to make stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment